Sunday, January 3

January Pick 3

Hello! Happy Sunday! Anyone else going back to work tomorrow?

We just have a PD day tomorrow and the kids will be back Tuesday, but I'll admit I'd prefer my husband's schedule. He teaches Math at the college level and doesn't go back to teaching until the third week of January! Lucky duck!

I hope you had a wonderful winter break and holiday season. We had a great time with family and friends all throughout my break.

I'm returning to share with you three Pinterest pins that I think are worth sharing. I've really grown to love this monthly party. So many good ideas out there.


In my first week back with the kids, I really want to focus on using positive language. I have a class that sometimes struggles with complaining and getting along, so we're going to do an activity each day that has something to do with kindness.

You can click on any of the pictures to go back to the original sites where these ideas came from.


I loved this lesson that I found on Pinterest. I think we'll do it whole group, but I'm also going to type up words and phrases that the kids can sort and glue on a t-chart. I'm even going to let the kids glue a cotton ball and small piece of sandpaper to the appropriate sides of their t-chart.


Basically, it's a lesson of using cotton words instead of sandpaper words. Cotton words feel nice and encourage you to do or be better. Sandpaper words hurt, like when someone makes fun of you or even tattles. You let the kids feel each one and relate it to how it makes you feel and the words that you use. You brainstorm words that would go with the cotton and sandpaper. It's a very concrete way of showing the way words can make you feel.


I found this really great kindness resource. It's free on TeachersPayTeachers. It teaches the kids how to make compliments. I plan on doing these activities with my students this week too.


The only thing I will change is using snowflakes instead of water drops. I'll probably hang them up and make a bulletin board titled "Snow Much Kindness." I am also wanting to have my kids keep their eyes out for kind acts they see over the next month (or more), so I'm going to print some snowflakes where the kids can record that they "saw ___ showing kindness when ___."

If you have any kindness ideas or great links, please leave them in the comments below. I really want to focus on this over the next semester.


I'm sure everyone already has a back-to-school, winter-break recap-type of activity. Here are a couple that I saw that I thought were great. One is more about Winter break. The other is reflecting on 2015 and looking ahead at 2016.

     

I plan on using the "Holiday Break" page to practice writing a paragraph with my students. Writing is super important to practice since every grade level that is "state-tested" will need to produce quality writing, so I want to practice with my kids as much as possible.

I plan on using the "My Year in Review" page to create a little poster to hang in the hallway. I also plan on taking a picture of the kids with a New Year's hat and sparkly noise-maker that I will hang with the poster.


I also saw this Place Value Yahtzee, which I thought would be fun to play with my MTSS Math group. You might find that interesting.

I hope you found something you could use this month or put in your Pinterest basket for later. Make sure to link up if you have some ideas to share also.

Good luck with your first days back on schedule!
post signature


5 comments:

  1. Cute ideas! I love the cotton and sand paper words! I have never seen that one before! I'm going to try and incorporate that one with my MLK lessons.
    Undercover Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cotton and sandpaper words is such a cool object lesson! That would be great for my kinders because it give them something tangible to connect the concept to. Thank you for sharing!
    Kayla
    The Chalkboard Garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOHHH! I think that Yahtzee game would be fun to play. Thanks for picking that one!
    Patty
    Second In Line

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cotton ball and sandpaper idea! And the kindness in the classroom is genius! Kids really need to be taught these skills. I'm planning some fun New Year's reflections when we return. Thank you for sharing your pins and linking up with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did the cotton/sand paper activity last year and it worked well with my Grade 1 class. Thanks also for sharing the link to the Kindness activity. I pinned it on my Kindness group board. You might find some more good ideas there. Here's the link in case you're interested: https://www.pinterest.com/GradeOnederful/kindness-community-board/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! :o)